This is a double ended shed with ten roads located to the west of the Motherwell Deviation Line and just north of Lesmahagow Junction. Approach is from the north and south.
British Railways assigned the code 66B to the shed and sub shed Morningside Shed.
After 1967 the shed became a diesel depot.
Closure came after a fire in 2007. It was reopened by Direct Rail Services around 2013.
| Motherwell Wagon Works|
Parkneuk Steel Works
Motherwell Workshops Signal Box
Parkneuk Colliery No 1 and 2
Motherwell Malleable Iron Works
Motherwell Bridge and Engineering Works
Motherwell Gas Works
Logans Road Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|17/11/1858||Motherwell Deviation (Caledonian Railway)|
The Caledonian Railway buys land in Motherwell for a new shed (Motherwell Shed) to augment its locomotive sheds at South Side and Gartsherrie Shed [GGR] which were suffering from high light engine mileages. The Parkneuk Iron Works and Motherwell Iron and Steel Works were by the shed.
|/ /1860||Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway|
Gartsherrie Shed [GGR] closed on the opening of Motherwell Shed. (1860s).
|/ /1865||Motherwell Deviation (Caledonian Railway)|
Authorisation for purchase of the land for Motherwell Shed. (Authorisation for expansion or retrospective permission.)
|/ /1915||Motherwell Deviation (Caledonian Railway)|
The Motherwell Shed turntable is out of use due to mine works in the immediate area.