Location type


Name and dates

Lochanhead (1860-1939)

Opened on the Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway.


This was a two platform station with the east end located in a cutting on the approach to an overbridge. The main station building was on the westbound platform and there was a goods yard at the west end, south of the line, approached from the west.

The station opened after the line was already open. It was named for Lochanhead House about half a mile to the west. It was initially a single platform station, the later westbound. The line was double track from Dumfries to immediately west of the station. This was extended west to Southwick in 1878, when the signal box opened. The box was to the west and on the south side of the line.

The station closed with the start of the Second World War, the box closing in 1941 and it remained open for goods until 1947.

After the line west to Stranraer closed in 1965 Lochanhead became the end of the section of line from Dumfries to Maxwelltown beyond which demolition took place. Lochanhead was at the end of a climb west from Dumfries.

The station house and a cottage remain. Much of the station site is very overgrown. The location of the sidings and west end of the station is now farmland.



External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67

News items

09/07/2021Historic Scots bridges at risk of infilling after council 'planning blunder' [New Civil Engineer]
10/05/202124 historic railway structures that face demolition or infilling by Highways England [New Civil Engineer]
28/04/2021Have hopes to reopen railway line already hit the buffers over plans to infill bridge? [Galloway Gazette]


The Port Road: Dumfries to Stranraer, Portpatrick, Kirkcudbright and Whithorn