Opened on the Castle Douglas and Dumfries Railway.
This was a two platform station. The main station building was on the westbound platform and there was a short siding at the west end, approached from the west.
The station was named for Southwick House. This really was pushing it, the house is over six miles away to the south east.
The original station was minimal. It was enlarged in 1878 when the double line reached here from the east, a signal box opened in 1878. The box was on the south side of the line to the west of the station. The line west was doubled in 1889.
In 1940, under the Second World War Dispersal Scheme, an ICI Nobel factory opened at the Southwick Ammunition Factory (MoS Dalbeattie). This large factory was rail served from two connection points Southwick Factory Siding just west of the station and Maidenholm Sidings just west of the Kirkgunzeon Lane Viaduct further to the west.
The signal box closed in 1961. The station, and line, closed in 1965.
The station platforms remain, much overgrown, but station buildings have gone. A railway cottage remains standing, in use as a house. The factory also remains, now largely derelict.
Castle Douglas (St Andrews Street)
Bridge of Dee
Other railway and industry locations
Southwick Factory Siding
Southwick Ammunition Factory
Kirkgunzeon Lane Viaduct
Castle Douglas Shed
New Abbey Corn Mill
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|