Loch Leven

Location type

Station

Names and dates

Kinross [3rd] (1860-1871)
Loch Leven (1871-1921)

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.

Opened on the Fife and Kinross Railway.
Opened on the Kinross-shire Railway.

Description

This was a two platform station. There was a goods yard and locomotive shed to the south (or east) of Kinross High Street, the station was to the north (or west) of this.

The station was built on the connection between the Kinross-shire Railway and the Fife and Kinross Railway.

This was the third station to bear the name Kinross, although it was renamed Loch Leven. It replaced Kinross [2nd], a short lived terminus which was located by the locomotive shed.

It was renamed Loch Leven when the Devon Valley Railway opened and the name Kinross applied to the new junction station at Hopefield, Kinross Junction [1st].

The station closed in 1921.

The signal box was south of the station, opposite the goods yard on the west side of the line. It closed in 1957 and was replaced with a ground frame.

The line itself closed in 1970.

Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map




Books


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)

Forgotten Railways: Scotland

Forgotten Railways: Scotland