Lion Foundry (1880-1984)
Served by the Campsie Branch (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway).
This Foundry was rail served and located just south of Kirkintilloch [2nd] station. It was on the west bank of the River Luggie just north of the Forth and Clyde Canal.
It was originally served by a siding from the north east, which crossed the Luggie on a girder bridge. The works expanded northwards and a new connection was built - this ran north west from the Luggie Aqueduct to cross the Luggie and the works was reached by reversal.
The railway closed in 1966 but the second girder bridge remained in place for many years. The works closed in 1984.
Back O Loch Halt
Milton of Campsie
Bridgend [M and K]
Other railway and industry locations
Kirkintilloch Gas Works [1st]
South Bank Iron Works
J and J Hay Shipyard
Basin Iron Foundry
Kirkintilloch Gas Works [2nd]
Kirkintilloch Precast Cement Works
Kirkintilloch Nickel Works
Woodilee Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
Kelvin Valley West Junction
Whitegates Level Crossing
Meiklehill Colliery Quay
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|