This was a two platform station to the south of the village of Kirkbymoorside (see note to right), just south of the village bypass. The railway was single track with a passing loop at the station. The main station building was on the eastbound platform (nearest the village) and the goods yard at the east end, on the north side of the line, and approached from the east. There was a signal box at the east end of the eastbound platform.
The station closed to passengers in 1953, becoming a goods terminus with the line west retained. It was visited by an excursion in 1959 and again in 1964, not long before line closure.
The station building was demolished in early 2010 having survived as business premises since closure.
Kirby [North Eastern]
| Kirkdale Viaduct|
Rosedale West Goods
Mill Lane Junction
Rosedale East Goods
Malton East Junction
Scarborough Road Junction
New Bridge Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Kirbymoorside / Kirby Moorside / Kirkbymoorside
Today the spelling for the village is considered to be Kirkbymoorside. Historically it is less clear with newspapers and books using Kirkbymoorside and Kirbymoorside interchangeably going back to 1800.
As to Kirbymoorside versus Kirby Moorside both have been used officially in various official and non official documents. It appears that British Railways tried to standardise the spelling in 1948 to Kirbymoorside.
In 1900 used thus by NER on the tile map.
Also on paper map 1904.
NER Timetable 1906.
LNER Timetable 1934.
Used thus by BR in 1956 in the Handbook.
In the advertising for the 1964 railtour.
Appears to have been displayed as Kirby Moorside on the signal box (difficult to tell, looked like a bit of space!)
Spelling used by Ken Hoole in his volume of 'Regional History'.
Name used in the railway promotion of 1862.
Used in railway opening announcement 1874, Yorkshire Gazette.
Spelling on platform signs, 1950s.
Michael Quick, RCHS, lists it as Kirbymoorside with a note that it is sometimes known as Kirby Moorside.