Kinlochleven Smelter Pier (1909-1960)
Opened on the Kinlochleven Smelter Tramway.
This was a harbour and pier built for the North British Aluminium Company's Kinlochleven Aluminium Smelter with which it was connected by electric tramway. (The NBAC was a subsidiary of the British Aluminium Company).
There was a quayside along the south side of Loch Leven and a pier to the north. Both were served by double track tramways. The quayside were equipped with mobile cranes.
When opened there was no road to nearby Ballachulish along the south bank of Loch Leven. Materials came in and out by sea (bauxite from Larne in Northern Ireland, carbon from Greenock).
A road was built from Ballachulish to Kinlochleven in the Great War, by German prisoners of war.
The piers fell out of regular use with the closure of the tramway and survived relatively intact until the 1980s. Today the southern quayside remains, although separated from its approach.
Fort William [1st]
Loch Eil Outward Bound
Other railway and industry locations
Kinlochleven Aluminium Smelter
Kinlochleven Climbing Centre
Mamore Lodge Hotel
Aonach Eagach - Meall Dearg
Sgor an Iubhair - Demoted
Stob Coire a^Mhail
Stob Coire Leith
Na Gruagaichean North West Peak
Stob Coire a^Chairn
Aonach Eagach - Sgorr nam Fainnaidh
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|