Irvine Goods Signal Box (1893-1969)
Opened on the Busbie Branch (Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway).
This signal box was on the branch to Crosshouse and Kilmarnock just south east of Irvine station. The box was on the south side of the line with storage sidings, served from Irvine, on the south side of the line. The box controlled access to Irvine Goods (built in the curve of the start of the Crosshouse branch) and Irvine Permanent Way Depot workshops.
The branch closed in 1965 but the workshops remained open. The box closed in 1969.
The sidings survived until the late 1980s/early 1990s. The former goods yard was a Blue Circle cement dept and the workshops remained. The sidings were cut back around the time of the Ayrshire resignalling. Their site is now occupied by roads and a retail park.
Irvine Bank Street
Bogside Moor Halt
Other railway and industry locations
Irvine Goods Signal Box
Irvine Permanent Way Depot
Eglinton Chemical Works
Irvine Chemical Works
Warrix 1,2 Colliery
Shewalton 3,4 Colliery
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|