Opened on the Dundee and Perth Railway.
This was a two platform station. The station building, on the eastbound platform, still stands in use as a house. The building is of a style typical of the line such as that at Errol.
There was a passenger tramway north from here to Inchture Village. Inchture, like a number of stations on the line, was distant to the village which gave its name. It was the intervention of Lord Kinnaird which led to the line being pushed south of the town, away from his house Rossie Priory.
The standard gauge tramway started from a siding in the station goods yard and continued north to the village and a siding from this ran at 90 degrees to the mainline coming to an end behind the station building. A passenger tram would leave from this siding and head north.
There is a level crossing at the west end of the former station. The signal box was to the east of the level crossing and on the south side of the line.
The Inchture Village line closed to passengers in 1916. Inchture station closed in 1956 and the box closed in 1988.
The railway remains open as a double track main line.
Ninewells Junction [Station]
Other railway and industry locations
Grange Signal Box [D and PR]
Easter Mylnefield Quarry
Templehall Level Crossing
Firth of Tay
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways