This was a crossing on the single track line north of Dalwhinnie and south of Etteridge Crossing, itself south of Newtonmore.
The loop was built in 1897 to increase capacity, opened just south of Crubenmore Lodge. There were north and south signal boxes on the west side of the line. The northbound line was straight through and the southbound the loop.
In 1917 these were replaced by a single box. The new box was unusual for the Highland Railway having an internal staircase. The southern points were operated by a separate outdoors ground frame.
The southern subsiduary ground frame was removed in 1943.
The box was replaced in 1952 and closed in 1966.
Inch Lea itself was probably an island in the River Truim, just to the west of the railway. The loop was located where the Allt Garbh passed under the line.
Black Island Platform
Fort Augustus Pier
| Etteridge Crossing|
Ralia Ballast Siding
Spey Viaduct [Newtonmore]
Carn na Caim
Highland Folk Museum
Carn Dearg South East Peak
Glas Mheall Mor
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Highland Railway Album: No. 1
Highland Railway Album: No. 2
Highland Railway Carriages and Wagons
Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail
The Highland Railway
The Highland Railway : The History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands - Vol 2