This loop was on the single track line south of Newtonmore and north of Inchlea Crossing and Dalwhinnie. There was a single signal box.
The loop was used in both major wars. It opened before the Great War in 1911 and closed afterwards in 1928. However it was reinstated during the Second World War in 1942 and survived until 1963.
The loop was just to the west of the settlement at Etteridge and Loch Etteridge.
Black Island Platform
Fort Augustus Pier
| Inchlea Crossing|
Ralia Ballast Siding
Spey Viaduct [Newtonmore]
Highland Folk Museum
Carn Dearg South East Peak
Carn na Caim
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Highland Railway Album: No. 1
Highland Railway Album: No. 2
Highland Railway Carriages and Wagons
Highland Railway: People and Places - From the Inverness and Nairn Railway to Scotrail
The Highland Railway
The Highland Railway : The History of the Railways of the Scottish Highlands - Vol 2