Greenock Foundry

Location type


Name and dates

Greenock Foundry

Served by the Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway.
Open on the -.


This was a foundry and engine works on the south side of the Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway bounded to the east by the Carts Burn. It was the engine works of Scott, Sinclair & Co. (The engine works of Scotts Shipbuilding & Eng Co Ltd.)

Approach, by road, was from the north via East Stewart Street, the road passing under the railway. The works expanded to include building on the north side of the railway. Railway access was from the north, the lines serving Greenock Harbour, around Victoria Harbour.

As well as marine engines, the works built locomotives for both the Caledonian Railway and Scottish Central Railway. Robert Sinclair worked at the foundry. He was the nephew of Robert Sinclair [Senior] . Having become the general manager and locomotive superintendent of both railways he placed orders with the foundry.

The erection shop and test bed were south of the railway, in the south west of the works. North of the railway were the machine shop, outfit shop and, at the north east, the blacksmiths shop.

After closure the works side was cleared. East Stewart Street bridge was stopped up and the road no longer reaches the site of the part of the works south of the line.


Foundry Engine works

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67

Chronology Dates

  /  /1825John Scott & Sons
Buys the iron and brass Greenock Foundry owned by William Brownlie. The foundry is renamed Scott, Sinclair & Co.
  /  /1859John Scott & Sons
Scott, Sinclair & Co is renamed Greenock Foundry.
  /  /1904Scotts Shipbuilding & Eng Co Ltd
The Greenock Foundry company is directly absorbed.


Caley to the Coast: Rothesay by Wemyss Bay (Oakwood Library of Railway History)