ICI Grangestone (1941-1963)
Grangestone Distillery (1963-)
This distillery of William Grant & Sons is just north of Girvan.
The distillery site was used in the Second World War as an ICI munitions factory. During this period it was served by Grangeston Halt to the east on the Maybole and Girvan Railway and Grangestone Siding to the west on the Maidens and Dunure Light Railway. The siding was accessed from the north and led to a line which ran east almost as far as the station. By reversal a siding running first north and then east served the northern part of the site next to the warehousing. The site was also served by a narrow gauge railway system.
A proposed intermodal depot, Girvan Grangeston, may be built which would be served by the headshunt from the Girvan Loop.
Other railway and industry locations
Girvan Grangeston Depot
Girvan No 1 [1st]
Bargany Signal Box
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|