Glengall Signal Box

Location type

Place


Name and dates

Glengall Signal Box (1904-1966)

Opened on the Ayr and Dalmellington Railway.


Description

This signal box was south of Alloway Junction, Ayr. It controlled access to Glengall Siding. This was the siding for Ailsa Hospital, originally the 'District Lunatic Asylum (Ayr)'. The siding was reached via a headshunt which made a trailing connection to the southbound line.

The box was on the east side of the line, where the headshunt made its connection with the main line.

The box closed in 1966 and the main line was singled in 1973. It remains open as the line south to Girvan and Stranraer.

The Ailsa Hospital remains open and 'University Hospital Ayr' has also been built on the site.

Local

Ailsa Hospital

University Ayr Hospital


Tags

Signal box

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map