Glenfarg

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Glenfarg (1890-1964)

Opened on the Glenfarg Line (North British Railway).


Description

This was a two platform station with the main station building on the northbound platform. The signal box was at the north end of the northbound platform. The Glenfarg route was opened to improve the North British Railway's approach to Perth after the opening of the Forth Bridge.

The station was on the east edge of Glenfarg village. It fitted into a narrow site between the village and surrounding hillsides. Going north the landscape demanded tunnels, earthworks and viaducts. Going north there were Glenfarg Viaduct, Glenfarg South Tunnel, Glenfarg North Tunnel and Kilnockie Viaduct.

The goods yard was to the west, approached from the north. This was a small yard with a headshunt and loop allowing movements without fouling the main line. A refuge siding was north of the southbound platform, accessed from the station. A road bridge crossed the line to the immediate south of the station.

This section of line was tortuous and heavily graded making the short route via Glenfarg (as opposed to via Ladybank) challenging in steam days. Trials of various locomotives were carried out on the Glenfarg Bank in the early 1920s.

The station closed in 1964, the signal box in 1969 and the line in 1970.

The site has been utterly obliterated by the construction of the M90. A new bridge crosses the line at a location where the same road crossed over the railway. This portion of motorway opened in 1972. It is perhaps no coincidence that the railway closed despite not being listed for closure in the Beeching Report.

09/11/2019

Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map