This was a single platform station about a third of a mile east of Gilmerton. The platform was on the west side of a single track line with a station building and signal box at the south end. A small goods yard with siding and loading bank was on the west side of the line, south of the station, approached from the north. A station cottage was on Gilmerton Station Road to the west, alongside the road entry to the station.
The station served the Gilmerton Colliery. This was originally to the west of the station, accessed by reversing from the goods yard and relocated to the east side, approached by from the south.
A siding was installed opposite the platform, probably to prevent runaways. The loading bank siding was known as 'Factory Siding'. A ground frame remained here after the box closed (probably around 1934).
The line closed in 1989 with the closure of Bilston Glen Colliery.
The trackbed remains intact but very overgrown. The railway cottage is still in use as a house. Little remains of the station itself. The nearly colliery sites on either side of the line are in light industrial use.
Eskbank and Dalkeith
| Gilmerton Colliery [1st]|
Eldin Chemical Works
Little France Coal Depot
Burdiehouse Lime Works
Niddrie Pit No 11
St Leonards Mill
Sheriffhall City Bypass Overbridge
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Edinburgh's Railways
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
The Glencorse Branch (Locomotion Papers)