Garnqueen

Location type

Station

Name and dates

Garnqueen (1849-1851)

Opened on the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway.

Description

This short lived station was opened by the Monkland Railways company on the former Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway, a line which was chiefly concerned with mineral traffic, not passengers.

It may have been located to the north of the former level crossing in Glenboig/Garnqueen.

The station was north of Garnqueen South Junction, the line running south to that junction passing under the Hayhill Branch (Caledonian Railway).

The line closed in 1982 with the closure of the Bedlay Colliery. Level crossing gateposts survived for many years after closure. The trackbed is now a footpath to the north.

Tags

Station footpath