Finlaystone House

Location type

Name and dates

Finlaystone House

Opened on the Tourist - Castles and big houses.


An old mansion house building, possibly incorporating parts of a castle on high ground overlooking the south bank of the River Clyde between Langbank and Port Glasgow. Remodelled by John James Burnet in 1897-1900.

Ending a long period of ownership by the Cunninghams and Cunningham Grahams, and due to debts, William Bontine Cunninghame Graham sold Finlaystone to Sir David Carrick-Buchanan in 1863. He rented Finlaystone to his friend George Jardine Kidston in 1872, who bought it in 1897, that family (now named MacMillan) still owning the house today.

Finlaystone Country Estate