Easthouses Extension Pit

Location type


Name and dates

Easthouses Extension Pit (1909-1967)

Served by the Lothian Coal Co Ltd.
Served by the Newbattle Collieries Railway (Lothian Coal Co Ltd).
Served by the Easthouses Tramway (Lothian Coal Co Ltd).


This pit was located to the north of the older Easthouses Pit. Confusingly, it is often referred to as Easthouses Pit. The pit was developed by the Lothian Coal Company and was part of the Newbattle collieries unit.

A railway system took the coal south to the Lady Victoria Colliery for preparation. This network had spread out progressively to serve various pits in the area and was replaced with a modern cable operated line on a new alignment around the time Easthouses Extension opened.



External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67

Chronology Dates

  /  /1910Bryans Pit
Closed around this date. (The Easthouses Extension Pit opened in 1909.)
  /  /1949Easthouses Tramway (National Coal Board)
A cable operated line is rebuilt between Easthouses Extension Pit, Lingerwood Mine and Lady Victoria Pit. (Approximate date.)
  /  /1969Easthouses Tramway (National Coal Board)
Closed with the closure of Easthouses Extension Pit.