This works was established in 1876/7 on the east bank of the River Leven and west of the St Mary's Collegiate Church. It came to be associated with the Dixon family, also known for the Govan Iron Works.
The works demanded coal and the Knightswood Waggonway brought coal from Knightswood to the River Clyde in Yoker where it was transported by vessel to the glass works. In 1806 the Calder Coal Co had a contract to provide 25,000 carts of coal annually. Kelp was sourced from the Highlands.
The works produced most of the glass in Scotland and exported widely.
With the death of several members of the Dixon family the works was in decline in the 1830 and many staff left to work in newer works elsewhere. By 1850 it was bankrupt and the site later became the Leven Engine Works and, from 1850, was crossed by the Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway.
The Artisan Bridge, built in 1973, crosses the Leven passing through the former site. Its name recalls the former works. In the town is the Artisan Shopping Centre.
Upper Port Glasgow
| Albert Ship Building Yard|
Leven Viaduct [Dumbarton]
Leven Engine Works
Dumbarton Old Bridge
Glencairn Greit Tenement
St Serf's Church
Dumbarton Municipal Buildings
St Mary's Collegiate Church
Ballantyne Dumbarton Grain Distillery
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1771||William Dixon (Senior)|
Leaves Northumberland, takes control of Govan Colliery. Son of John Dixon, formerly of Sunderland, later manager of the Dumbarton Glass Works.
|/ /1850||William Denny and Brothers Ltd|
The site of the former Dumbarton Glass Works becomes an engine works.