Drysdale Street Tunnel

Location type


Name and dates

Drysdale Street Tunnel (1768-1924)

Opened on the Alloa Waggonway.


This tunnel under Drysdale Street and Mar Street carried the Alloa Waggonway between the bridge over the the railway next to Alloa station and the route south via Bedford Place Tunnel to the Alloa Glass Works and harbour, latterly the Alloa Wet Dock.

This waggonway, opened by the Earl of Mar in 1768 was a 3 ft 3 in originally wooden waggonway.

It fell out of use in 1924 and is now a footpath.


Tunnel footpath