Bedford Place Tunnel

Location type


Name and dates

Bedford Place Tunnel (1768-1924)

Opened on the Alloa Waggonway.


This tunnel under Bedford Place carried the Alloa Waggonway. It is south of Drysdale Street Tunnel. It carried the waggonway south to the Alloa Glass Works and harbour, latterly the Alloa Wet Dock.

This waggonway, opened by the Earl of Mar in 1768, was a 3 ft 3 in originally wooden waggonway.

It fell out of use in 1924 and is now a footpath.