This junction was the west end of a connecting curve which linked the 1865 Rutherglen and Coatbridge Branch (Caledonian Railway) to the Drumpeller Railway, a private line which linked the Monkland Canal to coal mines around Drumpellier and Bredisholme. It met the private line at Bredisholm Colliery Junction.
With this curve the portion of the private line north to Cuilhill Canal Basin was less used. The Caledonian Railway went on to buy the private line in 1881, combining it with its own Tannochside Branch (Caledonian Railway) which served the same area (but only overlapped the Drumpellier line in serving Bredisholm Collieries Pit No 3.
There was a signal box just east of the junction and north of a trailing crossover. Several sidings, approached from the junction, paralleled the curve as it turned from east to south to join the Drumpeller Railway.
Just to the east was a siding on the north side, approached from the west, for the Drumpark Brick Works. With its opening the signal box was replaced around 1899.
The box closed in 1934 when Drumpark station opened. The Drumpellier Railway and connecting curve were closed around 1937. The Tannochside branch remained open until 1964 to serve the area. Drumpark station also closed in 1964, along with the other stations on the line.
Bargeddie station was to open in 1993 on the site of Drumpark.
Coatbridge Central [NB]
| Bredisholm Colliery Junction|
Braehead Brick Works
Kirkwood Colliery Pit No 3
Kirkwood Signal Box
Bredisholm Collieries Pit No 6
Braehead Colliery Pit No 5
Kirkwood Colliery Pit No 2
Kirkwood Colliery Pit No 1
Cuilhill Canal Basin
Bredisholm Collieries Pit No 4
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|