Colville^s Sidings Signal Box (1890-1900)
Opened on the Wishaw and Coltness Railway.
This signal box replaced Windmillhill box (the name of the area to the immediate south) in 1890. The box was just north west of Flemington station and controlled access to two branches.
A branch ran south to the Caledonian Bolt Works and Parkhead Colliery Pit No 7 (an old branch dating from Windmillhill box days) . This branch was modified to be access via a headshunt, approached from the south east. The box was located in the 'V' of the junction between this branch and the main line.
Another branch ran north west to serve the Dalzell Iron and Steel Works, (iron works opened in 1872, steel works in 1880) and owned by David Colville and Sons Co Ltd. The latter branch could be accessed from the Flemington direction and also had headhunts which could be accessed from the Motherwell direction too, allowing approach from either direction on the main line.
It was replaced in 1900 by Dalzell Works Signal Box.
Other railway and industry locations
Dalzell Works Signal Box
Glasgow Rolling Stock and Plant Works
Lanarkshire Steel Works
Dalzell Malleable Iron Works
Lanarkshire Steel Works Signal Box
Flemington Saw Mill
Dalzell Steel Works
Motherwell Signalling Centre
Motherwell South Signal Box
Coursington Colliery Pit No 2
Ravenscraig No 1 Signal Box
Park Street Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Old Newmains and the Villages Around Wishaw
Wishaw 1896: Lanarkshire Sheet 18.03 (Old O.S. Maps of Lanarkshire)