Dalzell Works Signal Box (1900-1972)
Opened on the Wishaw and Coltness Railway.
This box was on the south side of the West Coast Main Line at the point where the lines to the Dalzell Steel Works branched off to the north west. It replaced Colville's Sidings Signal Box (see entry for main details).
The box was necessitated by a great increase in sidings for the works. It was a timber built box opened in 1900.
Passing underneath, just to the west, was the alignment from Motherwell South Signal Box which flew under to reach the Lanarkshire Yard in the north part of the Dalzell Works and from which the Glasgow Rolling Stock and Plant Works and Lanarkshire Steel Works could be reached by reversal. This was the Dellburn Branch named for the works near the start of the branch.
The box closed in 1972 when the layout was considerably cut back. the Motherwell Signalling Centre took over the main line and remaining sidings.
Other railway and industry locations
Colville^s Sidings Signal Box
Glasgow Rolling Stock and Plant Works
Dalzell Malleable Iron Works
Lanarkshire Steel Works
Dalzell Steel Works
Lanarkshire Steel Works Signal Box
Motherwell Signalling Centre
Flemington Saw Mill
Motherwell South Signal Box
Coursington Colliery Pit No 2
Motherwell Colliery No 3 Watsonville Colliery
Park Street Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Old Newmains and the Villages Around Wishaw
Wishaw 1896: Lanarkshire Sheet 18.03 (Old O.S. Maps of Lanarkshire)