Clydebank Dock Junction

Location type

Junction

Names and dates

Clydebank Dock East Junction (1907-1910)
Clydebank Dock Junction (1910-)

Opened on the Rothesay Dock Branch (North British Railway and Caledonian Railway).
Opened on the Glasgow, Yoker and Clydebank Railway.

Description

This junction was to the west of Scotstounhill, it led to the Rothesay Dock Branch (North British Railway and Caledonian Railway) which ran west to the Rothesay Dock on the north bank of the River Clyde. There was a large yard next to the main line by the junction. The signal box was on the south side of the main line and north side of the yard.

There was resignalling in 1959 in preparation for the electrification.

Around 1976 a link was put in between the yard and the eastern portion of the Rothesay Dock Branch (North British Railway and Caledonian Railway) - this allowed the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway to be closed between Kilbowie Road and Scotstoun West Junction. The new link and eastern portion closed in 1980. The Rothesay Dock line traffic for Ravenscraig Steel Works ceased in 1980 with the opening of the Hunterston Ore Terminal.

The junction still exists as it provides the eastern entry point to Yoker Depot, opened in 1987 on the site of the yard with a similar footprint. The rebuilt yard still provided for access to Rothesay Dock, the relaid line to the dock being used heavily but briefly in 1988/9.

The signal box closed in 1989, replaced by the Yoker Signalling Centre.

Tags

Junction
03/05/2019