This station was in the north of Chirnside Station, a village largely established by the railway, Chirnside Mill and Chirnside Paper Mill. Chirnside itself is a small town about a mile to the east.
It is a very well preserved former station. When built this was a two platform station with a goods yard on the east side, approached by reversing from the Duns bound line. The station building, in stone and of a single storey, was unusually large being L shaped with a timber extension to the south on the platform.
After singling, a loop was retained here and the just former Duns bound platform. The goods yard was expanded with new sidings. A signal box was opened in 1893.
To the south of the level crossing, at the south end of the station, the line appeared to redouble - this was because the former westbound line was retained as a long siding for the Chirnside Paper Mill.
The station closed to passengers in 1951. The signal box closed in 1962 after which it was demolished. The line closed completely in 1966.
Today the station building, even including its timber portion, remains and the goods shed. Fencing, built from sleepers, remain.
To the south the line crossed Chirnside Viaduct to reach the Chirnside Paper Mill.
| Chirnside Viaduct
Chirnside Paper Mill
Restonhill Ballast Pit
Free Kirk Bridge
Langton Burn Bridge
Foulden Tithe Barn
Edin^s Hall Broch
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.
|Dunse Branch (North British Railway)
Passenger train trapped at Chirnside following heavy flooding.
|Consultation seeking feedback on plans for Tweedbank to Eyemouth active travel route [Scottish Borders Council]
St Boswells to Berwick: Via Duns the Berswickshire Railway (Country Railway Routes)