Chemical Works Signal Box (1894-1967)
Opened on the Longridge to Bathgate (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway).
The original trackbed here was built for two lines by the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway extending the Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway from Longridge [1st] to Bathgate East Junction [1st]. The eastbound only was laid at opening.
A siding ran south west to Bathgate Chemical Works, the later part of the works. The siding probably dates from 1894, the opening of the box.
It was doubled from here to Polkemmet Junction in 1904.
The box closed in 1967 and line was singled (the line from Polkemmet Junction remained to serve Whitrigg Colliery until 1969).
The trackbed is now a road serving an industrial estate on the site of the works.
Other railway and industry locations
Bathgate Chemical Works
Iron and Gas Coal Pit
Torbanehill Coal Pit No 3
Torbanehill Pit No 3
Torbane Pit No 6
Iron and Coal Pit
Torbanehill Pit No 5
Balbardie Steel Works
Torbanehill Pit No 2?
Torbane Pit No 2
Torbanehill Pit No 7
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|