This junction was for the Rough Castle Branch (Caledonian Railway). The junction was on the west side of the Forth and Clyde Canal from Carmuirs West Junction.
The branch was a single track line. It left the double track main line to run east to several works including the Camelon Iron Works. The signal box (1887) opened on the south side of the line. The railway was in a cutting here and the box was at the top of the bank on the south side, probably for a clear view as a small aqueduct crossed the line at the junction. The box was to the west of the aqueduct (and road bridge which is alongside).
The connection was taken out in 1936 and the box closed. There was another connection to the works lines from Roughcastle Junction. The works sidings remained open until about 1970.
Falkirk Camelon [1st]
Bonnybridge Canal Goods
| Rough Castle Guano Works|
Rough Castle Sidings
Rough Castle Brick Works
Rough Castle Tar Works
Carmuirs West Junction
Denny West Junction
SSEB Bonnywater Electricity Siding
Lime Road Goods
Lochview Foundry Siding
Carmuirs East Junction
Rough Castle Roman Fort
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Tayside's Railways
Scottish Central Railway (Oakwood Library of Railway History)