Broxburn Junction

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

Broxburn Junction (1870-1968)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.


Description

This junction on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway was for the Broxburn Oilworks branch, the Broxburn Railway. The branch also served the Albyn Oil Works. The branch was approached from the north.

At the junction was a small goods yard on the east side of the main line. This predated the branch. See Broxburn [1st].

The branch was single track. It had an exchange yard on the west side of the line with dead end sidings approached from north, loops on branch and a looped siding on west side of the main line.

The signal box was between main line and the looped siding, yard and branch.

The oil works branch closed in 1968 and the box closed shortly afterwards.


Tags

Junction goods sidings