Bog Siding Signal Box

Location type

Name and dates

Bog Siding Signal Box (1901-1962)

Opened on the Bog Siding (North British Railway).


This signal box controlled access from the 1867 Macmerry Branch (North British Railway) to mine sidings and branches on either side of the original railway.

Bellyford Mine was to the north, some of the sidings being approached directly from the west and others by reversing from the line north to Fleets Colliery.

Limeylands Colliery was to the south, approached from the west. The lines serving this colliery ran on to a reversing spur from which Tynemount Colliery and Oxenford No 2 and 3 Collieries could be reached.

The box was located on the south side of the main line, with the Limeylands Colliery line branching off just to the west and passing to the south of the box. To the east the Bellyford Mine left the line. To the west of the box was a passing loop on the main line.

The box closed in 1962 and the line from Saltoun west to Smeaton closed in 1965.


Junction signal box