Barnhill House

Location type

Name and dates

Barnhill House

Opened on the Tourist - Castles and big houses.


This house became the Perth terminus of the Dundee and Perth Railway in 1847 before its extension in 1849 over the first Tay Viaduct [Perth] into Perth itself. The house (and neighbouring Willowbank House) were bought by the company. The temporary terminus of the line was directly west of the house. The large grounds of the house were available to passengers and the house itself was used for passengers and accommodation of senior railway staff.

On extension of the line into Perth the house remained in railway ownership and was the home of several of the Perth stationmasters. There was a siding south of the house, making a trailing connect to the eastbound line, possibly a remnant of the terminus.

The double track timber viaduct was replaced by a stone single track bridge. A replacement signal box opened on the west side of the railway directly west of the house. Carriage sidings were added to the west, these had a headshunt which ran on the west side of the signal box and was approached from the north. The sidings were to the north of the headshunt and below the railway.

A quarry was developed in the north part of the grounds, served by a siding making a trailing connection to the eastbound line.

The house eventually became ruinous.

Recent realignment (2022-23) of the railway to ease the curvature has cut into the site of the building.

Before the railway, the house was formerly owned by Sir Stewart Threipland. It was built in 1826 with architect William Macdonald Mackenzie.