Avoch

Location type

Station


Name and dates

Avoch (1894-1951)

Opened on the Fortrose Branch (Highland Railway).


Description

This was a single platform station to the west of the town. The platform was on the south side of the line. There was a goods yard to the west of the station, on the south side of the line, approached from the west. There was no signal box.

To the east of the station the line crossed the Avoch Burn by a very high single track single arch viaduct with cross-bracing at low level.

The station and goods yard are now a housing development. The station building, which was timber, survives in considerably modified form at the east end of the Station Road cul-de-sac. The timber was replaced with brick or block and the building has been extended at the eastern end.

Avoch Station Hotel was not at the station itself, but in Avoch.

Avoch is pronounced 'Auch'.

West of Avoch is the Corrachie Level Crossing, about half way to Munlochy, where a railway cottage stood by the level crossing.

08/11/2019

Tags

Station

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map