Ardrossan Western Breakwater
Opened on the Ardrossan and Johnstone Railway.
The western breakwater of Ardrossan Harbour was served by the Ardrossan and Johnstone Railway from an early date. This predates the opening of Ardrossan Winton Pier and Ardrossan Town was a terminus for passenger trains.
Ardrossan Winton Pier was opened a.After re-gauging of the line and connection to the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway at Kilwinning.
The western breakwater line ran down the west side of the old harbour and the Winton Pier was on the east side. The old harbour has since been infilled.
The breakwater line was lifted in the mid 1980s.
Ardrossan Winton Pier
Ardrossan Montgomerie Pier
Ardrossan South Beach
Other railway and industry locations
Ardrossan Harbour Signal Box
Ardrossan Shed [GSW] [1st]
Ardrossan North Goods
Ardrossan North Shed
Ardrossan Shed [GSW] [2nd]
Montfode Fuel Depot Sidings
Ardrossan Old Dock
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Ardrossan (North) 1895: Ayrshire Sheet 16.01 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Ayrshire)
Ardrossan (South) 1895: Ayrshire Sheet 16.05 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Ayrshire)
Kilwinning 1895: Ayrshire Sheet 16.04 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Ayrshire)
Origins of the Scottish Railway System 1722-1844
The Glasgow & South Western Railway a History