Abbotsford Ferry [1st] (1856-1895)
Opened on the Selkirk and Galashiels Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
Boldside and Abbotsford Ferry station was located by the Abbotsford Ferry over the River Tweed. The location is now known as Boleside, after a house built following the opening of the railway.
The ferry was the Boldside Ferry until the opening of the railway, as explained in the Ordnance Survey Name Book of 1858
Two dwellings - one storey in height, occupied by the ferryman, and a fisherman, And the property of Hugh Scott, Esq. There is a ferry at this place,which is widely known as, Boldside ferry, but since the opening of the Selkirk Railway, there is a wayside station, known as 'Abbotsford Ferry' - being so named as an advertisement to tourists intending Visiting Abbotsford, (1½ a miles distant), as it is the only public ferry proximate to it.
A Small wooden house at Boldside, on the Selkirk Railway, for the convenience of the ferry passengers for Abbotsford &c , Andrew Dun, Stationmaster and ferryman.
The Abbots Ford itself is associated with Melrose Abbey and is not at this location but further north. The Abbotsford Ferry was a ferry service, not a ford.
The name Abbotsford was adopted by Sir Walter Scott for the house he built himself to the south of the ford Abbotsford . The station came to be associated with visits to the house, it was actively promoted as the station for the house. It should be noted, however, that the house was over a mile to the north east on the south bank. The Abbotsford Ferry did not run to the house, but across the river.
The Braw Lads Gathering crosses at the original Abbots Ferry.
Abbotsford Ferry [2nd]
Angling Club Cottage
Other railway and industry locations
Galashiels and District Electric Supply Co
Galashiels Gas Board Siding
Galashiels South Signal Box
Galashiels North Signal Box
Ladhope Goods Platform
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|