The opening of this curve allowed trains from the Carlisle and Port Carlisle Railway and Dock Company and, more particularly, the North British Railways Waverley Route to approach Carlisle Citadel rather than Carlisle Canal. The curve was built by the Caledonian Railway.
These locations are along the line.
This junction was north of Carlisle. It was the eastern end of a connecting line, Port Carlisle Junction to Canal Junction Curve (Caledonian Railway) opened in 1860 to give the Waverley Route an approach to Carlisle station.