Hay Railway

Introduction

This was a horse tramway. The Act was approved in 1811 for a tramway to extend the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal at Brecon north east to Eardisley.

In 1860 the line was divided and would be converted to standard gauge railway, although portions were realigned.
- Hay to Three Cocks Junction was jointly owned by the Hereford, Hay and Brecon Railway and the Mid Wales Railway
- Three Cocks Junction to Talyllyn was owned by the Mid Wales Railway
- Talyllyn to Brecon was owned by the Brecon and Merthyr Railway



Dates

  /  /1811Hay Railway
Act passed for a horse Tramway. It was for a 3ft 6in line running for 24 miles from the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal at Brecon to Eardisley.
  /  /1812Hay Railway
Further authorisation.
  /  /1860Hay Railway
Divided. Hay to Three Cocks Junction was owned jointly by the Hereford, Hay and Brecon Railway and the Mid Wales Railway. Three Cocks Junction to Talyllyn was owned by the Mid Wales Railway. Talyllyn to Brecon was owned by the Brecon and Merthyr Railway. Hay to Eardisley was owned by the Hereford, Hay and Brecon Railway.
  /  /1863Hay Railway
The Brecon and Merthyr Railway starts to operate to Brecon.
  /  /1864Hay Railway
The Hereford, Hay and Brecon Railway and the Mid Wales Railway start to operate to Brecon.