This goods loop is closed. The Glasgow and South Western Railway chiefly used the goods yard but the loop line was developed by the Glasgow and South Western Railway, North British Railway and Midland Railway with the latter two barely using the depot.
These locations are along the line.
In 1877 the existing northern approach to Carlisle station was rebuilt in anticipation of the opening of the Carlisle Goods Loop (Carlisle Goods Traffic Committee). Works were considerable.
This goods yard, opened in 1883 was built on a double track loop (Dentonholme Goods (Dentonholme Joint Committee)) to the west of the 1877 Carlisle Goods Loop (Carlisle Goods Traffic Committee).