This former island platform is a remarkably complete large site. The station building, a single storey, had canopies. On the west side was a large goods shed. To the east a row of railway cottages. The line was crossed by a girder bridge to the south. The building and the use of an island platform was not typical of the line.
The signal box was on the east side and signals had timber posts. It was near the north end of the platform loop, north of which were two goods loops. From the goods loops the goods yard sidings, accessed from the north, fanned out on the west side. An auction mart developed on the west side of the goods yard.
From the south end of the station loop a siding curved off to the east to serve a brick and tile works.
A water tank was on the east side in the 'V' of the junction between the line and works siding.
There was a camping coach here.
The line closed to passengers in 1930 and completely in 1953.
The station building, goods shed and railway cottages survive, as does the girder bridge to the south.
Hillhead Tunnel was to the south and Glanton station to the north.
Whittingham itself is over a mile to the west.
| Learchild Crossing|
Alnwick Power Station
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|