Waterside Junction

Location type


Name and dates

Waterside Junction (1895-1959)

Opened on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.


This junction opened in 1895 with a North British Railway built connection from Waterside (on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) south to [[Bridgend Junction (on the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway. It allowed westbound trains on E&G to reach the blast furnaces around Coatbridge without having to run round and reverse at Garngaber High Junction.

There were several mines in the Waterside and Gartshore area such as Wester Gartshore Colliery, directly by the junction, Gartshore Coal Pits Nos 9 and 11, a little to the east and the private Bairds of Gartshore's Railway serving several mines between Gartshore, Twechar and Kilsyth.

The junction was between two double track lines and the route south to Coatbridge was double the whole way. A signal box opened with the junction in 1895, the box being to the east of the junction and on the south side of the line.

The box and line south closed in 1959.