Tyndrum Goods Ground Frame

Location type


Name and dates

Tyndrum Goods Ground Frame (1877-1949)

Opened on the Callander and Oban Railway.


This location name is somewhat artificial. This ground frame was located east of Tyndrum Lower. It controlled the connection between the original terminus Tyndrum [1st] and the extension west to Dalmally. After the line's extension the station was replaced with a new one and the original terminus become a goods yard. The junction was possibly controlled directly by the signal box opened with the extension.

The signalling history here is quite complex, a new box was opened, further west, in 1891 and the ground frame installed. There was a passenger loop, within the station, and a goods loop to the immediate east.

Around 1949 the layout was changed such that an up (eastbound) train reached the yard by a reversing spur which connected to the east end of the up loop line. Prior to that a down train could enter directly, but this cross over was lifted.

The goods yard was removed in 1966.




External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67