Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Leven Railway.
This signal box was on the northern approaches to Thornton North Junction.
The box was between the main line north and Leven [2nd] branch. It was in line with the main line. It opened in 1902 and Thornton North box, to the south at Thornton North Junction, was renamed Thornton Station.
The Leven [2nd] branch was doubled in 1910.
The box closed in 1969, around the same time that Thornton Junction station closed.
Thornton Junction [W&BR]
Glenrothes with Thornton
| Balgonie Colliery Lochtyside Pit|
Thornton North Junction
Balgonie Colliery Julian Pit
Earlseat Loading Pad
Thornton East Junction
Thornton Shed [1st]
Thornton West Junction [1st]
Thornton South Junction
Thornton Wagon Works
Thornton West Junction
Fife Railway Wagon Works
Wellesley Colliery Duncan Pit
Thornton Shed [2nd]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: The North of Scotland v. 15 (Regional railway history series)
Burntisland: Fife's Railway Port (Locomotion papers)
Fife's Last Days of Steam
Fife's Lost Railways
Railways of Fife
The Railways of Fife