Thornton East Junction (1887-1959)
Opened on the Wemyss and Buckhaven Railway.
This junction opened in 1887. It allowed direct access for the Buckhaven line to the Dunfermline Branch. Before this, the Buckhaven line met the main line at Thornton North junction. Its opening coincided with the extension of the line east to Methil in 1887.
Just to the west the connection passed under the main line to reach the Dunfermline Branch.
The Buckhaven line was single track, as was the line west to the Dunfermline Branch. There was a signal box to control the junction until closure in 1959.
Following this the alignment was straightened to the west, the line north abandoned.
Just to the south east the line crossed the River Ore.
Nothing remains at the site today, it is now part of the Thornton Golf Course.
Thornton Junction [W&BR]
Glenrothes with Thornton
Other railway and industry locations
Thornton East Junction
Thornton Shed [1st]
Thornton South Junction
Thornton North Junction
Thornton West Junction [1st]
Thornton Wagon Works
Thornton West Junction
Fife Railway Wagon Works
Earlseat Loading Pad
Wellesley Colliery Duncan Pit
Thornton Shed [2nd]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
East of Thornton Junction: The Story of the Fife Coast Line
Fife's Lost Railways
Railways of Fife
Railways Of Scotland 1: The Kingdom of Fife DVD - Cinerail
Scottish Branch Line Steam
Scottish Branch Lines, 1955-65
The Railways of Fife