Stobbs Junction

Location type

Place


Name and dates

Stobbs Junction (-1932)

Opened on the Ardrossan and Johnstone Railway.


Description

This junction was between the Ardrossan and Johnstone Railway and the Misk Colliery Branch and was located west of the Eglinton Iron Works and just west of an overbridge of the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway.

The junction gave access to Bogend Pit, Longford Chemical Works and Misk Colliery Pit No 1. The branch almost immediately after the junction passed under the Blacklands Junction to Byrehill Junction curve.

The branch was approached from the east and ran south. The signal box was on the north side of the junction. Going west to Blacklands Junction the line doubled at the box. The line also doubled on the east side of the GPK&AR bridge.

The line later gave access to the eastern part of the Ardeer explosives works.

The box closed in 1932 when the line to Blacklands Junction was singled.

The location remains undeveloped, slightly landscaped. The bridge under the main line was removed although portions remain.

01/09/2019

Tags

Junction

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map