Standhill Siding (1849-1969)
Opened on the Edinburgh and Hawick Railway (North British Railway).
Standhill Siding was a pair of sidings just south of Standhill Farm. The sidings were approached by reversal from the southbound line and were on the east side of the line.
The site has since been landscaped but the road bridge to the north of the site still stands.
A saw mill, also now entirely gone, stood to the immediate east of the sidings. The sidings predated the sawmill.
To the north was Belses station and to the south Hassendean station.
Other railway and industry locations
Ale Water Viaduct
Charlesfield Munitions Factory
St Boswells Shed [2nd]
St Boswells Shed [1st]
Hawick North Signal Box
Hawick Gas Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Forgotten Railways: Scotland
Galashiels 1897: Selkirkshire Sheet 08.02 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Selkirkshire)
Galashiels to Edinburgh: Including the Lauder and Dalkeith Branches - the Waverley Route (Scml)
Hawick 1897: Roxburghshire Sheet 25.07 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Roxburghshire)
Hawick to Galashiels: The Waverley Route Including the Selkirk Branch (Scottish Main Lines)
Last Years of the Waverley Route
North British Railway, Vol. 1 (Standard Railway History)
North British Railway, Vol. 2 (Standard Railway History)
On the Waverley Route
Railways Of Scotland 2: The Waverley Route DVD - Cinerail
The Waverley Route Through Time
The Waverley Route: Its Heritage and Revival
The Waverley Route: The Postwar Years
Waverley Route: The battle for the Borders Railway
Waverley Route: The Life, Death and Rebirth of the Borders Railway
Waverley: Portrait of a Famous Route