St Margaret's Tunnel

Location type


Name and dates

St Margaret's Tunnel (1877-1954)

Opened on the Dunfermline and Queensferry Railway.


This single bore and single track disused tunnel, about a quarter of a mile long, is north of the former North Queensferry [1st] terminus on the branch from Dunfermline. The station was on a pier and ferries crossed the Forth. This branch's role was replaced by the opening of the Forth Bridge Railway in 1890, but the line remained open to goods until 1954.

With the condition of the tunnel degrading, for safety it has been packed with large polystyrene blocks, which could be removed should the tunnel be needed in future. The tunnel is crossed by the Forth Road Bridge approach roads from the north. Both tunnel portals have been sealed and landscaped.




Edinburgh To Inverkeithing.: including The Port Edgar, North Queensferry And Rosyth Dockyard Branches. (Scottish Main Lines.)

Inverkeithing To Thornton Junction: Via Cowdenbeath (Scottish Mainlines)