Star Foundry (1861-1867)
South Bank Iron Works (1867-1981)
Served by the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway.
This foundry was established on the south bank of the Forth and Clyde Canal in 1861/2 by Alexander Smith, formerly of the Sun Foundry [Glasgow]. It was separated from the Canal Bank by Southbank Road.
The works was served by a siding from the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway which ran from the Kirkintilloch Basin depot north east to the works.
After the death of Smith the works was renamed the South Bank Iron Works in 1867, taken over by Cameron and Roberton.
The works expanded southwards.
The railway closed in 1966 and the works in 1981.
The site was cleared and is now housing and a supermarket.
Back O Loch Halt
Milton of Campsie
Bridgend [M and K]
Other railway and industry locations
South Bank Iron Works
J and J Hay Shipyard
Basin Iron Foundry
Kirkintilloch Gas Works [1st]
Kirkintilloch Precast Cement Works
Kirkintilloch Nickel Works
Kirkintilloch Gas Works [2nd]
Woodilee Colliery Pits Nos 1 and 2
Whitegates Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|