Smardale

Location type

Station

Name and dates

Smardale (1861-1952)

Opened on the South Durham and Lancashire Union Railway.

Description

This was a single platform station, the platform being on the south side of the line. The railway was single track and there was a passing loop at the station, east of the platform. The loop was on the north side of the main track.

The goods yard sidings trailed into the west end of the loop and were on the north side.

There was a signal box about half way along the loop, on its south side.

The station closed to passengers in 1952. The line closed in 1962.

Tags

Station



Books


Darlington and South West Durham: With Richmond and the Stainmore Line (Railway Memories)