Scotstoun West No 3 GF

Location type

Place

Name and dates

Scotstoun West No 3 GF (1907-1955)

Description

This junction was controlled by a signal box, actually a ground frame, close to Dyke Road. The lines opened in 1907.

To the west the line divided into, from north to south:
- Yoker Shed
- single ended sidings, approached from the east
- the double track line to Yoker Green Road Junction and Rothesay Dock
- a yard of looped sidings on the south side of the double track

To the east the lines were, from north to south:
- a headshunt for Yoker Shed and the single ended sidings
- the double track line to Scotstoun West Junction
- a yard of looped sidings on the south side of the double track

The ground frame closed in 1955.

Yoker Shed remained open until around 1964 (sources vary).

In 1964 the line was singled to both west and east.

In 1965 the line west to Yoker Green Road Junction closed. A new connection to Clydebank Dock Yard, to the north west, opened.

The new connection was required because by 1966 all connections to the remaining portion of the Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway had closed, leaving Old Kipatrick to Partick Central as a single track goods line.

The new connection and line survived until 1980.

The trackbed is now a footpath.

Tags

Ground frame signal box junction 08/08/2019