Risping Cleuch Viaduct (1901-1939)
Opened on the Leadhills and Wanlockhead Branch (Caledonian Railway).
This viaduct was built in 1891 by Sir Robert McAlpine & Co. It was an eight arch single track viaduct on a curve. The bridge was clad with terracotta bricks to improve its appearance.
The line opened in 1901 and remained open until 1939.
The viaduct remained standing until 1991 when, due to some of the brick cladding falling off, the bridge was demolished with explosives.
Some of the terracotta bricks have been used for the cladding of the signal box at Leadhills station.
The trackbed is a pleasant walking route and the removal of the viaduct does not stop the course of the line being followed.
Other railway and industry locations
Elvan Water Viaduct
Crawford Viaduct [Camps Reservoir Railway]
Corner on long coal conveyor
Ardoch Signal Box
Mennock Water Viaduct
Wandel Mill Signal Box
Enterkin Burn Viaduct
Wanlockhead Beam Engine
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|